Pack the kids and book a family holiday in Queenstown. You and the kids will love these great family hotels.
Queenstown is a magical spot beloved by everyone who visits. Your kids will love it too. Every child should learn to ski, see the mountains, ride a jet boat, and go on a hike. And Queenstown is the perfect place to do all of that and so much more. It’s New Zealand’s playground, and your family deserves a getaway.
Here is all the best family accommodation in Queenstown
- Holiday Inn Queenstown Remarkables ParkHoliday Inn Queenstown Remarkables Park will open for business in Q1 2022. This will be the nicest hotel near Queenstown Airport when it opens. It’s big too, offering 182 rooms including 6 suites. While a standard King room is under $200 a night the suites are targeted at a the upper end of the market and are well over $400 per night.
- Holiday Inn Queenstown Frankton RoadHoliday Inn Queenstown Frankton Road is the older of the two Holiday Inns in Queenstown. It’s an average 4-star hotel aimed squarely at families. And it’s great for a family holiday – everything here is family friendly from the rooms to the restaurant and everything in between. Located in Frankton Road a 10 minute drive from the centre of Queenstown. It’s also a popular conference venue.
- Copthorne Hotel & Apartments Queenstown LakeviewCopthorne Hotel & Apartments Queenstown Lakeview is an older 4-star hotel in Queenstown near the CBD. It’s a 15 minute walk to Fergburger. The views from this romantic Hotel are simply stunning. Both from the restaurant and from the lakeview rooms. Stay here if you’re looking for a 5 star view on a 4 star budget.
- Oaks Queenstown Shores ResortThe 4-star Oaks Queenstown Shores Resort is a large apartment style hotel on the lakeside. The location offers stunning views, of Lake Wakatipu and the mountains beyond. The hotel offers regular free shuttles into town, or it’s a 30 minute walk. It’s a slightly older 4 star so keep your expectations in check.
- Millbrook ResortMillbrook Resort in Arrowtown is a 5 Star Resort and Golf Course. It’s the home of the New Zealand open with a total of 27 holes. If golf isn’t your thing it’s still got plenty to offer with a fabulous day spa, swimming pool, 3 outdoor hot pools and great family accommodation option. With everything from a studio apartment to a 4 bedroom free standing house on offer. It’s all very luxurious.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites QueenstownHoliday Inn Express & Suites should be named Queenstown’s Ultimate Family Hotel. It has everything a family needs (even a family of 5). It’s nowhere near luxury and it’s not trying to be. But it is nice. Clean and fairly new (2019), so still in good condition. Only a 5 minute walk to the centre of town.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel QueenstownDoubleTree by Hilton is a 4 star hotel, perfect for couples. It’s got to be one of the nicest 4 star hotels in Queenstown. The rooms are beautiful, generously sized and really well furnished. Interconnecting rooms are available for families, and they all have a kitchenette. It’s incredibly well priced for what you get.
- Mercure Queenstown ResortMercure Queenstown Resort is a 4 star hotel, perfect for families. The hotel offers great views from the restaurant, terrace, and lake view rooms. They’ve got hot tubs, and a pool (in summer). It’s a long walk from town (2.5km) so most people will opt to drive.
- Oaks Queenstown Club SuitesOaks Queenstown Club Suites is hotel rooms, 1, 2, 3, and 4 bedroom apartments on the lakefront. It’s a really nice 20 minute walk to town or a couple of minutes by car. While it’s a 4 star it really is at the top end of the category. The bathrooms have a more luxurious feel than most others at the price point. Because the offer apartments, it’s great for groups and families but also really good for couples as it’s got a bit of a romantic feel to it.
- Copthorne Hotel & Resort Lakefront QueenstownCopthorne Hotel & Resort Lakefront Queenstown is a lakeside 4 star hotel in Queenstown CBD. It’s a short (5 minute) walk from the centre of town. This is a well maintained property for it’s price, and the rooms are large (about 50% larger than Rydges) It’s a lakeside hotel for less than $200 per couple per night including a buffet breakfast. Perfect for anyone on a budget. Families, couples, groups of friends or conferences.
- Rydges Lakeland Resort QueenstownRydges Lakeland Resort Queenstown is a lakeside 4 star hotel in Queenstown CBD. It’s an easy 10 minute walk from the centre of town. This is a really well located mid price hotel, perfect for families, conferences or couples on a budget. The lake view rooms have fantastic views and there are plenty of them. The furnishing is standard for a 4 star.
- Swiss-Belresort Coronet PeakPerfect for young snowboarders or skiers looking to have fun. It’s cheap and basic. It has everything you need for a ski trip – a bed, a basic small bathroom, and a bar. They also got a bowling alley and it’s without a doubt the best hotel bowling alley in all of Queenstown. This really close to Coronet Peak, so great if you want to make first tracks in the morning. But no so good if you want to pop into town. It’s also great for mountain bikers in summer.
- Queenstown Park Boutique HotelQueenstown Park Boutique Hotel, offers 5 star hotel rooms and a magnificent apartment a 5 minute walk from the centre of town. Some rooms have mountain views. This is a great hotel for couples who want something really nice but are will to sacrifice proximity to the lake for a lower price. The rooms are exceptionally high quality and really well furnished.
- Heartland Hotel QueenstownHeartland Hotel Queenstown is a well located, reasonably priced 3 star hotel. It’s a bit of a hike up the hill from town, but not to far and most people will be fine walking here from town. It’s also a great advertisement for good photography as the rooms look better online than in person, however it’s a budget hotel in a very expensive town and it’s well located so if you want something nice spend more.
- Peppers Beacon QueenstownPeppers Beacon is a great lakeside 4 star Hotel in Queenstown. It’s perfect for couples, families, or groups of friends. They’ve got some really nice 2 bedroom apartment style rooms with kitchens and plenty of living space, as well as smaller 2 bedroom suites and regular hotel rooms. The views are great so make sure you book a lakeview room. Peppers. Stay here if you want lake views on a reasonable budget, or want a well located room and don’t need a restaurant.
- Novotel Queenstown LakesideNovotel Queenstown Lakeside sits smack bang in the middle of Queenstown CBDs waterfront. It’s right on Queenstown Bay Beach. Absolute lakefront in the heart of the CBD, it’s easily the best located 4 star hotel in Queenstown. It’s perfect for families, but also great for couples on a budget and conferences. Novotel is targeted at the upper end of the 4 star market.
- Nugget PointNugget Point Hotel and Spa is in a rapidly growing section of Queenstown. It’s well out of the CBD next to the famous Onsen Hot Pools. Nugget Point is at the very top end of 4 star hotels and pretty reasonably priced. Book a riverview room for the best experience. The balconies on the river view rooms are great. Nugget Point is a good place for couples who want to relax and spend a bit of time in and around their hotel. Nugget Point has a sauna, plunge pool, hot tubs, large gym, and squash court for guests to enjoy.
- Crowne Plaza QueenstownCrowne Plaza Queenstown is a well located 4 star hotel popular with families, but it is also a popular conference venue. It’s located right in town close to the lake. They’ve got everything you need and nothing you don’t. Crowne Plaza is a good quality 4 star hotel and pretty well priced, rooms are 32 square meters a available with a King size bed or two doubles. Lake view rooms are a little more expensive, they are worth the extra if you’re going to spend time in the hotel. But if you’re out and about all day don’t bother.
- Heritage QueenstownHeritage Queenstown is a large older 4 star hotel, perfect for a middle class family holiday or a group of friends on a ski trip. They’ll let you pack up to 8 people into a 2 bedroom suite which is great for a party of snowboarders, or a family (as long as you’re not in the room next to the party of snowboarders). It’s got a great heated indoor outdoor pool so you can swim year round, and a hot tub. Heritage is a little out of town, it’s a 4 minute drive, or pleasant 20 minute walk away from Ferg Burger (The center of Queenstown).
- The Spire HotelThe Spire Hotel is 5 Star Luxury in the very heart of Queenstown. It’s elegant, tasteful, and fun. Perfect for a romantic weekend getaway. But also great for families (wealthy families at least) as you can get up to 3 interconnecting rooms. Each of the 10 suites is a very generous 60 square meters, the beds are HUGE, and best of all every suite has a fireplace. The rooms are available in city view, garden view or mountain view. Your right in the middle of Queenstown’s fun zone here so there’s plenty to see and do as soon as you walk outside.
- Kamana LakehouseFirst up Kamana Lakehouse is not actually on the lakefront, however it does have excellent views of the lake from both the restaurant and bar, and the 3 amazing hot tubs. It’s a scenic 30 minute walk to Ferg Burger (the centre of Queenstown) from here or a 5 minute drive. It’s a great romantic spot for couples, but it’s also not bad for a family.
- The Rees Hotel & Luxury ApartmentsThe Rees Hotel and Luxury Apartments is really at the top end of 5 Star Hotels in Queenstown. It’s lakefront and all rooms have incredible lake and/or mountain views. The apartments are huge and the hotel rooms are very generous as well. Everything at The Rees is done to a really high standard. The service is impeccable, the furnishings are luxurious.
- Swiss-Belsuites Pounamu QueenstownSwiss-Belsuites Pounamu Queenstown is a 5 star serviced apartment hotel. They offer a mix of studio, 1 and 2 bedroom apartments. The one and 2 bedroom apartments are generously sized with full kitchens. The 1 bedroom apartments are 74 square metres and the 2 bedrooms are 104 square metres. The studios are really small at only 21 square metres which is small for a hotel room let alone a studio apartment. The studios also only have a kitchenette, think toaster, microwave, small sink. It’s far from a full kitchen, they do have laundry facilities in room though which is a bonus if you are skiing for a week or two.
- Hilton Queenstown Resort & SpaAs you’d expect from Hilton their Queenstown Resort & Spa is one of the best 5 star hotels in the Queenstown area. It’s right on the lakefront with stunning views from most rooms as well as from the restaurants and shared spaces. Located in Kawarau Village it’s a 12 minute drive to the centre of town. Because it’s located further from the centre of town there’s plenty of room for extras like a heated indoor pool, a large well equipped fitness centre, and the fabulous eforea spa. There’s water taxis that can zip you across the lake to town if you plan on drinking and don’t want to drive.
- Oakridge Resort Lake WanakaOakridge Resort is a 4-star resort with amazing heated rock pools, as well as a day spa. The 9 pools are warm enough to use all year round. This is a great spot for families, as they have plenty of 2 bedroom apartments with kitchens and laundry facilities. There’s a restaurant on site, and a cafe over the road.
- Millennium Hotel QueenstownMillennium Hotel Queenstown is a solid 4 star hotel, perfect for families and conferences. It’s conveniently located a short 7 minute walk from the centre of town. It’s an older hotel, but the rooms are generously sized so if feels nice if not exactly luxurious.
See all Hotels in Queenstown