Find the perfect school holiday hotel deal in Queenstown
Check out these great hotels in Queenstown, you’re sure to find a school holiday deal that suits your family. From 5 star to 3 star we’ve got you covered whatever your budget.
- Holiday Inn Queenstown Remarkables ParkHoliday Inn Queenstown Remarkables Park will open for business in Q1 2022. This will be the nicest hotel near Queenstown Airport when it opens. It’s big too, offering 182 rooms including 6 suites. While a standard King room is under $200 a night the suites are targeted at a the upper end of the market and are well over $400 per night.
- Holiday Inn Queenstown Frankton RoadHoliday Inn Queenstown Frankton Road is the older of the two Holiday Inns in Queenstown. It’s an average 4-star hotel aimed squarely at families. And it’s great for a family holiday – everything here is family friendly from the rooms to the restaurant and everything in between. Located in Frankton Road a 10 minute drive from the centre of Queenstown. It’s also a popular conference venue.
- Copthorne Hotel & Apartments Queenstown LakeviewCopthorne Hotel & Apartments Queenstown Lakeview is an older 4-star hotel in Queenstown near the CBD. It’s a 15 minute walk to Fergburger. The views from this Hotel are simply stunning. Both from the restaurant and from the lakeview rooms. Stay here if you’re looking for a 5 star view on a 4 tar budget.
- Mi-pad Smart HotelMi-pad Smart hotel is indeed smart; it makes the most of its small footprint and location. You could say it’s the perfect hotel for couples on a budget. It’s nicely furnished with some great shared spaces, like the fantastic rooftop terrace with stunning views, the dining area, and the lounge. Of course, this isn’t the place for your wedding night, but it’s well priced and is suitable for a romantic couples getaway, especially for younger couples who can’t afford Blanket Bay or even the Hilton.
- Cardrona HotelLike something straight out of a beer commercial, this postcard-perfect historic pub hotel is an icon of the Queenstown region. As much a pub and restaurant as it is accommodation, the food and atmosphere in the bar are excellent. And the accommodations pretty decent for a 3-star country hotel too. So don’t just stop to take a photo of this iconic Hotel. Stay a night or two and experience its charms.
- New Orleans HotelNew Orleans Hotel is a genuine country pub hotel. Built in 1866 it got the kind of history you can only earn. Don’t worry they gave the place a bit of a spruce up in 2019 so the rooms don’t look like they are for gold miners anymore. The food and the pub are great by any measure. The hotel is a great price.
- Shotover LodgeShotover Lodge is really cheap (for Queenstown) and not at all unpleasant. Located in Arthurs Point just over the road from Nugget Point this 3-star hotel is popular with younger folks on a tight budget. It’s a 10 minute drive to the center of Queenstown. And it’s on the way to Coronet Peak so perfect for a ski holiday.
- Oaks Queenstown Shores ResortThe 4-star Oaks Queenstown Shores Resort is a large apartment style hotel on the lakeside. The location offers stunning views, of Lake Wakatipu and the mountains beyond. The hotel offers regular free shuttles into town, or it’s a 30 minute walk. It’s a slightly older 4 star so keep your expectations in check.
- The LindisThe Lindis is a super luxury lodge like no other. It is rated in the top 5 lodges in the world. TA stay at The Lindis is an experience you’ll remember for a lifetime. Come here to relax, fly fish, horse trek, hike, and experience the southern skies without any light pollution. Or just to revel in a level of luxury that has to be seen to be believed. Getting here is an adventure in itself; it’s an incredible 2.5-hour scenic drive from Queenstown. (Or you can take a helicopter). Everything here is world-class, from the food and wine to the architecture and furnishings. The scenery is fucking incredible. You have to see it to believe it.
- The Dairy Private Hotel by Naumi HotelsThe Dairy Private Hotel by Naumi is quirky, like a cross between an opium den, an old fashioned brothel, and a hotel. I mean that in the nicest possible way. You’ll either find it romantic, sexy, perhaps even a little kinky, or you’ll hate the style all together. The location is really central. It’s really only suitable for couples, looking to enjoy each other
- LQ QueenstownLQ Queenstown is another Wyndham hotel near Queenstown Airport. It only opened in December 2020 so everything is nice and new. Great views of the Remarkables and of the Kawarau River. Great for business travellers who need a cheap place to stay. But also not to bad for an extended ski trip on a budget.
- Ramada Suites by Wyndham Queenstown Remarkables ParkRamada Suites by Wyndham Queenstown Remarkables Park is a pretty basic serviced apartment style hotel near Queenstown Airport. The rooms are self contained with kitchenettes in the studios and small kitchens in the one bedroom apartments. The rooms are serviced daily and some rooms have great views of the Remarkables. It’s at the bottom end of 4 star, but perfectly acceptable for most normal people.
- Stoneridge EstateStoneridge Estate is a winery, 5 star luxury lodge and stunning wedding venue with it’s own chapel. A short 15 minute drive from Queenstown in the Lake Hayes area, it’s got stunning lake views and a very instagramable infinity pool. Most hotels take incredible photos but don’t look quite so good in reality. Stoneridge is the opposite, the lodge really looks better in person than in their promotional photos.
- Millbrook ResortMillbrook Resort in Arrowtown is a 5 Star Resort and Golf Course. It’s the home of the New Zealand open with a total of 27 holes. If golf isn’t your thing it’s still got plenty to offer with a fabulous day spa, swimming pool, 3 outdoor hot pools and great family accommodation option. With everything from a studio apartment to a 4 bedroom free standing house on offer. It’s all very luxurious.
- Mahu WhenuaMahu Whenua used to be Shania Twain’s house, but it’s now a super luxury lodge ready for you to enjoy. Located in the high country 20 minutes drive from Wanaka. The location is secluded and private with stunning scenery. This homestead/lodge is everything you could hope for and more. With a luxurious but homely feel this has to be the most welcoming down to earth lodge that’s somehow still fit for a billionaire.
- Minaret Station Alpine LodgeMinaret Station is where you want to be when the apocalypse happens. It’s a super luxury lodge that’s only accessible by helicopter. This really helps keep out the riff raff as it literally costs thousands of dollars just to get there. If you blink at the cost of the helicopter you can’t afford the lodge. Presuming you can afford it this place is another world, frankly a better world. This truly is one of the most secluded luxury lodges anywhere in the world.
- Azur LodgeAzur Lodge consists of 9 beautiful individual 1 bedroom villas. Offering privacy and seclusion with magnificent views of Lake Wakatipu and the mountains. This is a perfect romantic spot for couples, so leave the kids at home. The king size beds enjoy magnificent views, so do the bath tubs. You will not want to leave.
- Blanket BayBlanket Bay is one of the finest small luxury hotels anywhere in the world. You come here to relax and get away from it all, so it’s located well away from from the hustle and bustle of Queenstown at the Glenorchy end of Lake Wakatipu. The views are spectacular and nothing you want is a problem. The service here has to be experienced to be appreciated. Blanket Bay is fit for Royalty.
- Wyndham Garden QueenstownWyndham Garden Queenstown was new in 2018 so it’s still in reasonable condition. It basically exists to provide small cheap rooms near the airport. If that’s what you want it’s great. If you’re a tourist wanting the Queenstown experience then spend a little more and stay closer to town. It has some great views of the Remarkables from some rooms.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites QueenstownHoliday Inn Express & Suites should be named Queenstown’s Ultimate Family Hotel. It has everything a family needs (even a family of 5). It’s nowhere near luxury and it’s not trying to be. But it is nice. Clean and fairly new (2019), so still in good condition. Only a 5 minute walk to the centre of town.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel QueenstownDoubleTree by Hilton is a 4 star hotel, perfect for couples. It’s got to be one of the nicest 4 star hotels in Queenstown. The rooms are beautiful, generously sized and really well furnished. Interconnecting rooms are available for families, and they all have a kitchenette. It’s incredibly well priced for what you get.
- Gibbston Valley Lodge and SpaGibbston Valley Lodge and Spa is a luxurious 5 star lodge with a spa and a vineyard. It’s perfect for a romantic couples getaway. The wine is as spectacular as the scenery. The rooms are spacious and luxurious and the food is excellent. Stay here because you love wine, good food and a want to escape from the world for a couple of days.
- Mercure Queenstown ResortMercure Queenstown Resort is a 4 star hotel, perfect for families. The hotel offers great views from the restaurant, terrace, and lake view rooms. They’ve got hot tubs, and a pool (in summer). It’s a long walk from town (2.5km) so most people will opt to drive.
- Reavers LodgeReavers Lodge is the perfect spot for groups of friends on a ski or mountain bike trip. It’s a rack em and stack em type of place where most of the rooms have bunks. It’s really a hard core snowboarders haunt. It’s not close to the centre of town, but it’s great for a long stay on a low budget. They have their own ski and board rental which is super handy. This is some of the most affordable accommodation in Queenstown.
- Oaks Queenstown Club SuitesOaks Queenstown Club Suites is hotel rooms, 1, 2, 3, and 4 bedroom apartments on the lakefront. It’s a really nice 20 minute walk to town or a couple of minutes by car. While it’s a 4 star it really is at the top end of the category. The bathrooms have a more luxurious feel than most others at the price point. Because the offer apartments, it’s great for groups and families but also really good for couples as it’s got a bit of a romantic feel to it.
- Copthorne Hotel & Resort Lakefront QueenstownCopthorne Hotel & Resort Lakefront Queenstown is a lakeside 4 star hotel in Queenstown CBD. It’s a short (5 minute) walk from the centre of town. This is a well maintained property for it’s price, and the rooms are large (about 50% larger than Rydges) It’s a lakeside hotel for less than $200 per couple per night including a buffet breakfast. Perfect for anyone on a budget. Families, couples, groups of friends or conferences.
- Rydges Lakeland Resort QueenstownRydges Lakeland Resort Queenstown is a lakeside 4 star hotel in Queenstown CBD. It’s an easy 10 minute walk from the centre of town. This is a really well located mid price hotel, perfect for families, conferences or couples on a budget. The lake view rooms have fantastic views and there are plenty of them. The furnishing is standard for a 4 star.
- Swiss-Belresort Coronet PeakPerfect for young snowboarders or skiers looking to have fun. It’s cheap and basic. It has everything you need for a ski trip – a bed, a basic small bathroom, and a bar. They also got a bowling alley and it’s without a doubt the best hotel bowling alley in all of Queenstown. This really close to Coronet Peak, so great if you want to make first tracks in the morning. But no so good if you want to pop into town. It’s also great for mountain bikers in summer.
- Queenstown Park Boutique HotelQueenstown Park Boutique Hotel, offers 5 star hotel rooms and a magnificent apartment a 5 minute walk from the centre of town. Some rooms have mountain views. This is a great hotel for couples who want something really nice but are will to sacrifice proximity to the lake for a lower price. The rooms are exceptionally high quality and really well furnished.
- Heartland Hotel QueenstownHeartland Hotel Queenstown is a well located, reasonably priced 3 star hotel. It’s a bit of a hike up the hill from town, but not to far and most people will be fine walking here from town. It’s also a great advertisement for good photography as the rooms look better online than in person, however it’s a budget hotel in a very expensive town and it’s well located so if you want something nice spend more.
- Peppers Beacon QueenstownPeppers Beacon is a great lakeside 4 star Hotel in Queenstown. It’s perfect for couples, families, or groups of friends. They’ve got some really nice 2 bedroom apartment style rooms with kitchens and plenty of living space, as well as smaller 2 bedroom suites and regular hotel rooms. The views are great so make sure you book a lakeview room. Peppers. Stay here if you want lake views on a reasonable budget, or want a well located room and don’t need a restaurant.
- Novotel Queenstown LakesideNovotel Queenstown Lakeside sits smack bang in the middle of Queenstown CBDs waterfront. It’s right on Queenstown Bay Beach. Absolute lakefront in the heart of the CBD, it’s easily the best located 4 star hotel in Queenstown. It’s perfect for families, but also great for couples on a budget and conferences. Novotel is targeted at the upper end of the 4 star market.
- Nugget PointNugget Point Hotel and Spa is in a rapidly growing section of Queenstown. It’s well out of the CBD next to the famous Onsen Hot Pools. Nugget Point is at the very top end of 4 star hotels and pretty reasonably priced. Book a riverview room for the best experience. The balconies on the river view rooms are great. Nugget Point is a good place for couples who want to relax and spend a bit of time in and around their hotel. Nugget Point has a sauna, plunge pool, hot tubs, large gym, and squash court for guests to enjoy.
- Crowne Plaza QueenstownCrowne Plaza Queenstown is a well located 4 star hotel popular with families, but it is also a popular conference venue. It’s located right in town close to the lake. They’ve got everything you need and nothing you don’t. Crowne Plaza is a good quality 4 star hotel and pretty well priced, rooms are 32 square meters a available with a King size bed or two doubles. Lake view rooms are a little more expensive, they are worth the extra if you’re going to spend time in the hotel. But if you’re out and about all day don’t bother.
- Heritage QueenstownHeritage Queenstown is a large older 4 star hotel, perfect for a middle class family holiday or a group of friends on a ski trip. They’ll let you pack up to 8 people into a 2 bedroom suite which is great for a party of snowboarders, or a family (as long as you’re not in the room next to the party of snowboarders). It’s got a great heated indoor outdoor pool so you can swim year round, and a hot tub. Heritage is a little out of town, it’s a 4 minute drive, or pleasant 20 minute walk away from Ferg Burger (The center of Queenstown).
- Matakauri LodgeMatakauri Lodge is located on the edge of Lake Wakatipu, and the views from every room are stunning. There’s no garden view rooms here, everything faces the lake and mountains. Each suite has a private terrace, a stunning bathroom and pretty much every comfort imaginable. Oh and they have a heated infinity pool and hot tub and offer all the spa treatments you’ve come to expect.
- Eichardt’s Private HotelEichardt’s Private Hotel is the most luxurious hotel in Queenstown. Hell it’s one of the most luxurious hotels anywhere in the world. Rooms here typically start from around $1500 per night while the Penthouse is closer to $10,000 a night. It does sleep 4 though. This is the best located hotel in Queenstown. It’s on the lake in the centre of town. The views are absolutely stunning, the rooms are as luxurious as it gets and yet most guests think the best thing is the service you get while you are there.
- The Spire HotelThe Spire Hotel is 5 Star Luxury in the very heart of Queenstown. It’s elegant, tasteful, and fun. Perfect for a romantic weekend getaway. But also great for families (wealthy families at least) as you can get up to 3 interconnecting rooms. Each of the 10 suites is a very generous 60 square meters, the beds are HUGE, and best of all every suite has a fireplace. The rooms are available in city view, garden view or mountain view. Your right in the middle of Queenstown’s fun zone here so there’s plenty to see and do as soon as you walk outside.
- Kamana LakehouseFirst up Kamana Lakehouse is not actually on the lakefront, however it does have excellent views of the lake from both the restaurant and bar, and the 3 amazing hot tubs. It’s a scenic 30 minute walk to Ferg Burger (the centre of Queenstown) from here or a 5 minute drive. It’s a great romantic spot for couples, but it’s also not bad for a family.
- QT QueenstownQT Hotels are known for their fun quirky, but very luxurious design and the 5 star QT Queenstown does not disappoint. The interior is fun, young, and sexy looking. The location isn’t lakefront, but it’s on a hill overlooking the lake so the views are still awesome. Located a short 10 minute walk from Ferg Burger (the heart of Queenstown).
- The Rees Hotel & Luxury ApartmentsThe Rees Hotel and Luxury Apartments is really at the top end of 5 Star Hotels in Queenstown. It’s lakefront and all rooms have incredible lake and/or mountain views. The apartments are huge and the hotel rooms are very generous as well. Everything at The Rees is done to a really high standard. The service is impeccable, the furnishings are luxurious.
- Swiss-Belsuites Pounamu QueenstownSwiss-Belsuites Pounamu Queenstown is a 5 star serviced apartment hotel. They offer a mix of studio, 1 and 2 bedroom apartments. The one and 2 bedroom apartments are generously sized with full kitchens. The 1 bedroom apartments are 74 square metres and the 2 bedrooms are 104 square metres. The studios are really small at only 21 square metres which is small for a hotel room let alone a studio apartment. The studios also only have a kitchenette, think toaster, microwave, small sink. It’s far from a full kitchen, they do have laundry facilities in room though which is a bonus if you are skiing for a week or two.
- Hilton Queenstown Resort & SpaAs you’d expect from Hilton their Queenstown Resort & Spa is one of the best 5 star hotels in the Queenstown area. It’s right on the lakefront with stunning views from most rooms as well as from the restaurants and shared spaces. Located in Kawarau Village it’s a 12 minute drive to the centre of town. Because it’s located further from the centre of town there’s plenty of room for extras like a heated indoor pool, a large well equipped fitness centre, and the fabulous eforea spa. There’s water taxis that can zip you across the lake to town if you plan on drinking and don’t want to drive.
- Hotel St Moritz Queenstown – MGallery by SofitelHotel St Moritz Queenstown is a very nice 5 star hotel that is located a pleasant 8 minute walk from the centre of Queenstown. You can walk to any of the main attractions in town but it’s a little further than some other hotels. The hotel overlooks the lake and many rooms have sensational views. In addition to the views the interior is decorated to a very high standard. A perfect romantic hotel for couples in Queenstown.
- The Central Private Hotel by Naumi HotelsNot to be confused with Eichardt’s Private Hotel by any means. The Central Private Hotel is in a great location, with incredibly polite and well trained staff. Like all Naumi Hotels it’s very arty and a little bit quirky. Guests here rave about the staff, even guests who are complaining say the staff are amazing. The location is great, a short walk from the centre of town.
- Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & SpaSofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa is a very luxurious 5 star hotel that is located right in the heart of Queenstown. The location is really central so you can walk to anything in town. The only small knock would be the lack of lake views from most rooms. However it more than makes up for that with the luxurious interior and excellent location. This a great romantic hotel for couples in Queenstown, but also suitable for upmarket families.
- Oakridge Resort Lake WanakaOakridge Resort is a 4-star resort with amazing heated rock pools, as well as a day spa. The 9 pools are warm enough to use all year round. This is a great spot for families, as they have plenty of 2 bedroom apartments with kitchens and laundry facilities. There’s a restaurant on site, and a cafe over the road.
- Millennium Hotel QueenstownMillennium Hotel Queenstown is a solid 4 star hotel, perfect for families and conferences. It’s conveniently located a short 7 minute walk from the centre of town. It’s an older hotel, but the rooms are generously sized so if feels nice if not exactly luxurious.
- Hulbert House Luxury Boutique LodgeOriginally built in 1888 this lovingly restored villa has 6 beautifully decorated rooms. Each with its own distinctive decor. The Victorian era style is very romantic, if you’re the Jane Austen type. Conveniently located a 7 minute walk from the centre of Queenstown, and offering lake views, this is a slice of heaven.
April School Holidays in Queenstown
The April school holidays are the perfect time to go mountain biking or hiking. It’s not to hot and it’s not cold and wet yet. This makes it perfect for outdoor activities where you’re working hard. You’ll also see the autumn colours on the trees. Queenstown’s a beautiful place all year round, but it’s at its finest in autumn, Queenstown Gardens is spectacular.
July School Holidays in Queenstown
The July school holidays are the perfect time for a family ski trip to Queenstown (or Wanaka). It’s the middle of winter and snow conditions are usually nice and dry. With 4 ski fields to disperse the crowds you’ll find you spend more time skiing and less time standing in lines that you would at Whakapapa. If skiing isn’t your thing Queenstown is still the perfect place to go there’s so many other things to do.
October School Holidays in Queenstown
Spring is the perfect time to visit Queenstown. You can do pretty much everything. There’s still a chance of some spring skiing in the first week of October, but it’s also usually warm enough to enjoy all manner of other activities like Jet Boating and Zip Lining, and Bungy Jumping. It’s also a great time to go horse trekking as there’s still snow on the hills but the you’ll also see the spring flowers.
Christmas Holidays in Queenstown
Queenstown’s a sensational place to spend the summer. There’s Mountain biking, hiking, luging and so many more activities to keep the family entertained and create some awesome school holiday memories. Head across to Milford Sound, get out on the lake on a jet ski, go paragliding. Honestly you can stay in Queenstown for a month – you’ll run out of money before you run out of things to do.