Queenstown is the best place in the Southern Hemisphere to go skiing.
For visitors from the northern hemisphere – ski season in Queenstown runs from June to October. It’s winter down here when it’s summer in the northern hemisphere. Queenstown is a proper mountain town in New Zealand’s Southern Alps full of luxury hotels. There’s 4 large commercial Ski fields within an easy drive of Queenstown, and some amazing heli skiing/boarding too. With colder conditions than ski fields in the North Island the snow is drier and with 4 ski fields to choose from you can chase the powder wherever it may be.
Ski Fields in Queenstown
Queenstown has 4 large commercial Ski Fields with fast modern lifts, huge areas of groomed terrain, a number of world class terrain parks, and some excellent off piste skiing as well.
- Treble Cone700m Vertical Drop 2 Chair Lifts 1 Platter Lift 1 Conveyor Lifts 550 Hectares
- Cardrona600m Vertical Drop 1 Gondola 4 Chair Lifts 1 Platter Lift 3 Conveyor Lifts 400 Hectares
- The Remarkables468m Vertical Drop 4 Chair Lifts 4 Conveyor Lifts 385 Hectares
- Coronet Peak462m Vertical Drop 3 Chair Lifts 4 Surface Lifts 280 Hectares
Heli-skiing in Queenstown
Queenstown has a reputation for having some of the best heli skiing in the world. After a fresh dump of powder this is the best skiing or boarding you can get anywhere. The three main heli ski companies all have multiple helicopters and can take you all over the Southern Alps. They know all the best spots for any weather conditions and can find you terrain that suits your level of ability so you have the most fun possible. You can book as an individual on a helicopter, or you can charter a chopper just for your party and have them pick you up from your luxury lodge.
Heli Skiing is pretty expensive but if you can afford to stay in a luxury hotel in Queenstown you can probably afford this too. It’s best for intermediate and advanced riders.
- Alpine Heliski8 Mountain Ranges – Over 400 Runs – 1000’s of Hectares
- Southern Lakes Heli Ski17 Mountain Ranges – Over 800 Runs – Largest Terrain Area
- Harris Mountains Heli-Ski11 Mountain Ranges – Over 200 Peaks – 3000 square kilometres
Cat-Skiing in Queenstown
Cat Skiing is like heli skiing, but at a slightly more affordable price point. The ride up is obviously slower, but you still get to make fresh tracks and avoid the crowds. It’s a great way to enjoy the mountains especially on a powder day.
- Soho Basin500m Vertical Fall – 730 hectares – 1 Luxury Snowcat
Cross Country Skiing
If you are looking for a different experience or just wanting to work on your fitness Queenstown has some great cross country skiing.
- Snow Farm55 kms of Trails – 3 Backcountry Huts – Snowshoeing – Cross Country Skiing – Dog Sledding